A dog rash on the belly is a condition that causes discomfort and itchiness for your faithful friend. Not only will a belly rash impact your dog’s mood, but it will also lead to other symptoms that can affect their overall health and wellness. There are several causes of this skin condition. Fortunately, numerous remedies exist to help your dog out. But when it comes to holistic, all-natural alternatives to improve your dog’s skin and boost their general soundness, CBD dog products are the best option.
Keep reading to discover the causes, symptoms, and best remedies for dog rash on the belly and why the pet wellness experts at HolistaPet have the best products to help with this canine condition.
What Causes a Dog Rash On The Belly?
There are several causes of your dog’s belly rash. Some result from their surroundings, while others are internal and unique to your dog. To keep your dog’s protective outer layer intact, you have to be aware of the many ways your dog can develop that nagging belly rash.
Here are the most common causes of belly rash on your dog:
- Skin infections such as pyoderma, yeast infections, and other fungal and bacterial infections.
- Parasites such as fleas, ticks, mites, and sarcoptic mange).
- Allergic reactions such as flea allergy dermatitis and other environmental, plant, and food allergies.
- Environmental irritants such as poison ivy and other toxic plants.
- Hormonal imbalances and endocrine disorders such as hypothyroidism and Cushing’s disease.
- Genetic issues such as breeds predisposed to developing skin problems.
We recommend this product line for dogs who experiencing discomfort:
What Are The Common Types Of Belly Rashes On Dogs?
Belly rashes on dogs are very common and often result from several common issues. Here are the most common types of belly rashes you will find on your dog:
When dogs suffer from some type of skin trauma, such as a cut or a scrape, or trap excess moisture in their coat, they run the risk of developing a skin infection that can lead to belly rash. Bacteria and fungal infections can present themselves with various symptoms, including malaise, discharge, hair loss, and red, tender skin.
The most common types of skin infections in dogs are:
- Yeast infections
Parasites are microorganisms that leech off a host for survival. Unfortunately, that host is your dog. Parasites that cause your dog to develop a belly rash reside in their coat and on their skin and are easily transmissible.
Common parasites that cause skin infections in dogs include:
Allergic Reaction or Contact Dermatitis
Your dog may ingest or come in direct contact with pollen, mold, lawn fertilizer, poison ivy, and a plethora of other allergens that can cause belly rash. A simple solution to this is to avoid these environmental irritants altogether. However, that might be easier said than done, especially if you have a dog that likes to roam and explore.
Sometimes your pup might be the victim of a genetic lottery that made them and their breed prone to certain skin conditions such as belly rash. Several dog breeds are predisposed to developing skin conditions that can lead to belly rash.
Breeds predisposed to skin rashes include:
- American Bulldog
- Chinese Shar-Pei
- Doberman Pinscher
- English Bulldog
- Labrador Retriever
- Pit Bull Terrier
- Standard Poodle
Your dog’s belly rash may be the result of an underlying cause, such as hormonal imbalances caused by several endocrine disorders. Hypothyroidism and Cushing’s disease are the most common culprits for belly rash resulting from these types of disorders. Take your dog to the veterinarian and have them evaluated if you suspect your dog suffers from an endocrine disorder.
If your dog is exposed to too much heat or overheated, they can develop heath rash in tender areas of their body, such as their belly. If left untreated, heat rash can quickly develop into a Staphylococcus bacterial infection and lead to other health issues. Keep your dog cool and away from high-heat environments to prevent heat rash from occurring.
Stress is not something that humans are prone to. Unfortunately, our furry friends can be affected by it, too. A recent study suggests that stress can significantly impact chronic skin conditions in dogs. When a dog is stressed, their body releases chemicals that can lead to soreness and sensitivity and eventually cause belly rash.
How Do I Identify If My Dog Has A Rash On Their Belly?
There are several ways to identify if your dog suffers from belly rash. If you notice your dog excessively scratching, licking, and gnawing at its underside, a simple visual examination of their stomach area will suffice.
Look for the following symptoms when identifying belly rash in your dog:
- Red, swollen areas of skin
- Itchy red bumps
- Pus filled bumps
- Thickened skin
- Sores and circular lesions
- Dry, flaky skin that is often scaly or crusty
- Itchy skin
- Foul odor resulting from fungal infections
- Changes in skin pigmentation
- Hair loss or bald patches
How Do I Help My Dog’s Rash?
There are several ways you can treat your dog’s belly rash. From home remedies, over-the-counter treatments, prescription medications, and lifestyle changes, each treatment is unique to the specific cause of your dog’s skin rashes. But before you go about treating your dog’s belly rash, you should seek veterinary advice to determine the correct course of treatment.
Here are some of the many ways you can treat your dog’s skin rash:
- Antibacterial medications: Prescribed by a veterinarian if a bacterial infection, such as a Staph infection, is the cause of the belly rash.
- Antifungal medications: If a fungal infection, like a yeast infection, is responsible for your dog’s belly rash, your veterinarian will prescribe antifungal medications or medicated shampoos to help get rid of the rash.
- Antihistamines: Check with your vet if antihistamines such as Benadryl can help relieve allergies that result in belly rash.
- Skin balms: A soothing skin balm can help relieve rash discomfort on your dog’s belly and prevent them from scratching and gnawing at it and making it worse.
- CBD dog products: These all-natural dog products can help your pup maintain overall wellness while treating their rash. CBD is a great addition to your dog’s everyday skincare regimen and helps lessen the chances of belly rash by improving skin and coat health, decreasing irritation, reducing tenderness, lowering swelling, and easing stress.
What Is CBD?
Cannabidiol, more commonly known as CBD, is a cannabinoid found in large quantities in the hemp plant. This naturally occurring cannabis plant compound is popular amongst wellness enthusiasts for its therapeutic effects on their overall soundness. These benefits also extend to man’s best friend.
Every mammal on Earth has an endocannabinoid system (ECS). With the help of CBD, this internal network of cell-signaling receptors helps you and your dog to optimize several key biological functions. CBD interacts with your ECS to help regulate several bodily processes ranging from mood, appetite, skin health, mobility, and rest. In addition to exercise and proper nutrition, CBD is an important staple to your dog’s daily wellness regimen.
Thanks to the 2018 Farm Bill, which legalized hemp nationwide, several hemp-derived CBD products are now available for your dog to benefit from. Let’s take a look at some of them.
CBD Options for Dogs
When buying CBD for dogs, don’t just settle for your average CBD pet brand. Only buy from reputable brands that use safe and clean production processes and USA-grown, Farm Bill compliant hemp. Make sure the products contain no THC, harsh chemicals, additives, or fillers and are cruelty-free, containing only all-natural, vegan ingredients.
The only brand that satisfies all of these requirements is HolistaPet! Here are several CBD products for dogs you should buy today to help your pup out with their belly rashes.
CBD oil for dog is one of the most versatile ways to give CBD to your dog. You can feed it to your dog directly, add some to their drinking bowl or food, or mix it into a topical belly rash treatment. The most effective way for your dog to benefit from CBD oil is for them to ingest it. Giving your dog CBD oil every day will contribute to their overall health and help improve the symptoms of belly rashes.
Instead of giving your dog processed treats that contribute to their poor skin health leading to belly rashes, give them nutritious CBD treats instead! These crunchy treats come packed with CBD and delicious flavor.
HolistaPet’s CBD dog treats come in three different varieties with unique flavors:
- Wellness (Blueberry and sweet potato flavor): These treats help improve your dog’s overall wellness, which includes restoring their skin health and helping to relieve the symptoms of belly rash.
- Mobility (Pumpkin spice and cinnamon): If that pesky belly rash makes it hard for your pup to move around, consider giving them some of these treats to help improve their mobility.
- Calming (Green apple and peanut butter): These treats help calm restless behaviors that develop from belly rash on your dog’s skin.
CBD Soft Chews
If you have an older dog or a dog with dental issues, soft chews are the way to go. With CBD soft chews, you’ll give your dog savory treats but help alleviate symptoms associated with their belly rash.
HolistaPet’s CBD soft chews come in two different varieties:
- Mobility (Smokey pumpkin, apple and cinnamon): If you have an active dog that’s suddenly left immobilized due to irritation from that belly rash of theirs, then these will help them get up and running in no time.
- Calming (Green apple and peanut butter): Calm restlessness due to irritated skin with this delicious soft chews. Your dog will be calm, cool, and collected with regular dosing.
Washing a dog doesn’t have to be an ordeal. With HolistaPet’s CBD Shampoo for Dogs, you’ll give your dog’s sensitive skin the nourishment it needs. Suitable for all dog breeds and free of harmful chemicals, additives, and fillers, our CBD-infused shampoo washes away impurities on your dog’s skin and rejuvenates their outer layer for a fresh, clean feel. Topped off with a luxurious mandarin berry scent, our CBD shampoo will deliver all-natural wellness to your dog and help keep their skin healthy.
How To Prevent Belly Rash On Dogs
Your dog doesn’t have to constantly be under the fear of developing a belly rash. You can prevent this irritating condition from happening!
Here are the best ways to prevent belly rash on your dog:
- Give CBD dog products every day: As we previously mentioned, HolistaPet offers an array of CBD products for your dog. By giving your pup a daily dose of CBD, you’ll help your furry friend improve their skin health and make belly rashes a thing of the past!
- Utilize skin supplements: Give your dog essential vitamins and minerals to keep their skin healthy. Only use supplements formulated for dogs.
- Properly groom your dog: Maintain a proper grooming schedule to help keep your dog clean and rash-free.
- Clean your dog’s belly: Do this after your dog comes home from a walk or any outside activity.
- Use a humidifier: If the climate is dry, use a humidifier indoors to keep your dog’s skin moisturized.
- Wear a flea collar: Use a high-quality flea collar to prevent these pesky critters from infesting your dog and causing flea allergy dermatitis.
- Get regular checkups: Take your dog to the veterinarian regularly. By having a licensed vet examine your dog, you’ll be able to stay ahead of any skin troubles.
Final Thoughts – Dog Rash On Belly
One of the most common skin conditions in dogs is stomach rash. Allergy-related contact dermatitis, bacterial infections, fungal infections, excessive moisture, genetics, and stress are just some of the many reasons behind your pup’s belly rash. However, pet owners shouldn’t despair. There are several remedies to cure your dog’s belly rash. Even better, several measures can prevent belly rashes from ever occurring!
To make dog belly rashes a thing of the past, you must keep your dog’s skin healthy at all times. The perfect way to do this is to give your pooch CBD dog products like the ones we sell on HolistaPet! Head over to our shop to get your hands on some all-natural CBD products for dogs. With our selection of CBD Dog treats, soft chews, tinctures, and shampoo, you’ll find a product that will help your furry friend beat belly rash and improve their overall wellness.
Related Posts: DOG SKIN CARE: THE BEST CARE TIPS FOR KEEPING HEALTHY SKIN & COATS!