Responsible dog owners want nothing but the best for their canine companions, and many ask, “Can a dog overdose on probiotics?” It’s common for pet parents to deal with a mischievous pup who stuck its nose in the pantry and snagged a bag of their favorite treats. Most times, the only result is a guilty, knowing look and no harm done. But probiotics are more than tasty treats, so learning about potential risks is worth your time.
Human probiotics play an essential role in the lives of countless people, which is one reason there is so much interest in dog probiotics. After all, if probiotics can help people, it follows that dog probiotics also benefit our canine friends. It’s important to remember that these products are more than a simple treat or snack, which is why we’re here to set the story straight on pup probiotics! Keep reading to find out whether or not a dog can overdose on probiotics and why HolistaPet has the best gut-supporting supplements on the market!
What Are Probiotics for Dogs?
Probiotics for dogs are supplements that contain good bacteria that help keep a dog’s intestinal tract and digestive system in balance. These beneficial microorganisms help keep harmful pathogens that can wreak havoc on a dog’s gastrointestinal tract at bay by maintaining proper levels of beneficial bacteria that typically reside in your dog’s intestines. Probiotic supplements are a welcome addition to your dog’s diet and health and wellness routine.
Benefits of Dog Probiotics
There are many benefits to giving your furry friend dog probiotics meant for dogs. A dog’s digestive system differs from humans, and giving them specific probiotics for a dog’s system can help with:
- Easing digestive disorders. Probiotics can ease bloating, gas, and diarrhea in your dog’s stomach.
- Supporting a weakened immune system. The beneficial bacteria and other ingredients help prevent infections and fight harmful pathogens.
- Alleviating inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Probiotics reduce overall intestinal inflammation, including IBD flare-ups.
- Bringing balance to a poorly functioning gastrointestinal system. When your dog’s gut health is off balance due to harmful bacteria, probiotics boost the helpful bacteria to restore balance.
- Providing relief from chronic kidney disease (CKD). By increasing biochemical balance and eliminating uremic toxins from your dog’s colon, probiotic bacteria can help fight canine CKD.
- Warding off allergic reactions, hot spots, and itching. Once again, beneficial bacteria can help eliminate the bad bacteria that cause hot spots and rashes that induce scratching.
Probiotics for Dogs Side Effects
A probiotic supplement enhances your dog’s healthy bacteria, but if your pup has an initial reaction, it’s a rare occurrence. Some mild, temporary side effects may include:
- Effects from other ingredients. If your dog reacts to a probiotic supplement, there’s a good chance it’s due to food allergies from another ingredient, not the probiotic strains themselves.
- Allergic reactions. While the chances of an allergic reaction to a probiotic are very small, an allergic reaction (likely from another ingredient) may include itching, swelling, and potential respiratory issues.
- Constipation. When you initially provide probiotics to your dog, their digestive system may react by slowing down the normal digestion process resulting in short-term constipation.
- Dog diarrhea. It’s possible your dog may experience an upset stomach when starting probiotics. It’s temporary, and things will pass.
- Vomiting. Ramping up the helpful bacteria can sometimes cause discomfort, and a dog’s natural reaction is to get it out as quickly as possible. If vomiting continues, talk to your vet.
- Change in appetite. While probiotics for dogs provide many benefits, they influence the digestive tract, which may temporarily affect your dog’s appetite. Monitor it, and contact your vet if it does not subside.
- Flatulence or bloating. Again, introducing probiotics into a canine’s gastrointestinal system can cause some initial gassiness. It won’t last, and you can always open a window to get rid of the stench!
Can You Give a Dog Human Probiotics?
No, it’s not a good idea to give a dog human probiotics. Human gut flora differs from canine gut flora in several ways. The bacteria in human probiotics mainly assist the human intestinal tract. To reduce the instance of any possible side effects, it’s best to stick with a dog probiotic that’s formulated specifically for canines.
Can a Dog Overdose on Probiotics?
Even if your dog somehow finds and eats a bag of probiotics you accidentally left on the counter, it’s extremely rare for them to overdose on probiotics. If they do consume too much, monitor them throughout the day as their reaction may include:
- Chronic diarrhea
Under most circumstances, your dog’s digestive system will eventually eliminate any unpleasant reactions. Talk to your vet if there are severe or prolonged symptoms.
Dog Probiotic Tip: Always Follow the Dosing Guidelines
Always check the product’s dosing guidelines when providing canine probiotics to your pup. Dosing may depend on several factors, including your dog’s weight, size, and their overall digestive sensitivity. After all, you don’t want to overdo things, as you might aggravate the health issues you’re trying to solve!
Why You Need To Give Your Dog Probiotics
The beneficial microorganisms in your dog’s probiotics have enormous potential health benefits that outweigh any possible side effects. Most importantly, probiotics can be instrumental in keeping your dog’s GI tract in balance and:
- Helps with problematic digestive issues
- Supports your dog’s immune system
- Helps minimize allergic reactions such as itching and scratching
- Keeps their microbiome balanced
- Aids digestive enzymes
- Fights yeast infections
- Aids recovery from urinary tract infections
- Eases medication side effects
- Supports the transition to new dog food
- Helps maintain good oral health
- Improves overall health
So if your dog shows signs of digestive health problems or allergies, do some research to find quality probiotic products. You won’t have to search far, though — HolistaPet has a great selection of probiotics for dogs formulated with your pup’s health and safety in mind!
What To Look For in the Best Probiotic for Dogs
High-quality probiotic supplements contain several probiotic strains that support and maintain proper gut health in your dog. At a minimum, a probiotic product should have millions of colony-forming units (CFU) consisting of various beneficial microscopic bacteria.
It’s also essential that the other ingredients in the probiotic supplements are all-natural and don’t contain cheap artificial flavors or fillers. Not only are they less likely to be effective, but they may also actually worsen your dog’s condition. Check below for best probiotics for dogs.
Why Choose HolistaPet for Probiotics for Dogs?
First and foremost, HolistaPet is a pet wellness company, and we take quality and efficacy seriously. That’s why every dog owner can count on our probiotic products for:
- Natural, premium ingredients and flavors
- No artificial colors or fillers
- Cruelty-free ingredients
- A variety of abundant microorganisms in our probiotic products
- Tested by third-party laboratories for purity and potency
- Made in the USA
In addition to our emphasis on good, clean probiotics for dogs, we also provide a variety of choices for dog owners to choose from. Let’s take a closer look at the options we have to offer pet parents who want to ensure their pup maintains proper intestinal health.
HolistaPet Probiotic Soft Chews for Dogs
At HolistaPet, our best-selling Probiotic Soft Chews for Dogs contain three billion CFUs made up of a proprietary blend of nine different types of live bacteria. Here are the nine strains you’ll find in our Probiotic Soft Chews for Dogs:
- L. acidophilus fights digestive disorders
- L. casei eases diarrhea
- L. salivarius assists digestion and nutrient absorption
- L. plantarum also helps digestion and fights bacterial imbalance
- L. rhamnosus eases irritable bowel syndrome
- L. brevis supports a healthy immune system
- B. bifidum is a good bacteria for your dog’s gut health
- S. thermophilus creates more lactic acid in your dog’s stomach acids
- B. lactis & B. longum helps breakdown body waste and absorb minerals & vitamins
We make our soft chews with a proprietary blend of pumpkin and sweet potato to further ease your dog’s upset stomach. The chews are tasty enough to qualify as a yummy treat, or you can add them at mealtime to complement the dog food.
Multivitamin Soft Chews for Dogs
Our delicious, bacon-flavored Multivitamin Soft Chews for Dogs contains a blend of essential vitamins, glucosamine, and MSM to support mobility and proper joint care, and salmon oil for a beautiful coat and soft skin.
But we don’t stop there. Our Multivitamin supplement also includes the following:
- 500 million CFUs of a proprietary probiotic blend of B. subtilis and B. coagulans bacteria
- Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric
- Coenzyme Q10, a natural antioxidant
Fresh Breath Soft Chews For Dogs
Our Fresh Breath Soft Chews For Dogs not only freshen breath and improve overall dental health but also contain a proprietary probiotic blend of 300 million CFUs! This beneficial blend includes L. acidophilus, L. casei, L. salivarius, L. plantarum, L. rhamnosus, L. brevis, B. bifidum, S. thermophilus, B. lactis, and B. longum.
Your dog will also love the benefits of:
- Spirulina, which helps support the immune system
- Kelp Powder, a powerful antioxidant
- Parsley Powder, a natural diuretic
- Peppermint Leaf Power, which helps freshen breath and improve digestion
- Coriander, another natural diuretic
Experience Worry-free Shopping When You Shop With HolistaPet!
Your dog’s wellness comes first, and that’s why we provide worry-free shopping while simultaneously saving you money! We do it by providing:
- Free shipping. We offer free shipping for orders of $50 and above. Additionally, we also offer expedited shipping when time is of the essence.
- HolistaPoints reward program. Earn reward points on every order and use them for future savings.
- Outstanding customer service. Our customer support crew is the best in the business to help you in any way we can. Whether you have a product question or a return, we’re here to make it easy!
Get a HolistaPal+ Membership — It Pays To Shop!
Being a passionate pet parent should count for something, so we created our HolistaPal+ Membership program to benefit great dog owners like you!
HolistaPal+ Members receive all the benefits of:
- Saving 30% on every order at HolistaPet
- Receiving free shipping with no minimum spend
- Earning double reward points on every order
- Saving a pet’s life! We donate 10% of your annual membership fees to support HolistaPet Helps, our community give-back program aiding at-risk pets and helping local shelters find forever homes for pets.
Final Thoughts – Can a Dog Overdose on Probiotics?
Can a dog overdose on probiotics? The good news is that even if your dog consumes too much of a probiotic supplement, the risk of an overdose is minimal. Even if your pooch manages to get its snout into an unattended bag, any adverse effects will be temporary and minor. It’s a good idea to pay extra attention to your pal for a day or so to ensure any reactions don’t worsen, but again, chances are everything will be fine. Probiotics provide many helpful benefits for your dog and can make an enormous difference in their lives.
At HolistaPet, we offer a variety of probiotic products, so dog owners have options for what works best. In the never-ending battle between good and bad bacteria, give your dog’s body a boost with probiotic supplements made just for them. We know that your dog’s health is of paramount concern to you, and we’re here to help, so visit our shop to help your dog maintain their intestinal and digestive health with our probiotic supplements!