Ear wax build-up, lint, dirt, yeast, bacteria, ear mites, or a combination of it all — these are just some of the things that you will find hidden inside of your cat's ears. But have no fear for your cat's ears. You can prevent these critters from causing your cat a dastardly ear infection by learning how to clean a cat's ears properly.
Although it might sound like an intimidating process, cleaning a cat's ears is quite simple and something every cat owner can and should do. To clean cat ears, you need the right materials and proper care. Follow along as we teach you how to clean your cat's ears and why HolistaPet's CBD cat treats may help make the process a bit easier.
How Do I Clean A Cat's Ears?
To clean your cat's ears effectively, you need a good quality ear cleaner and some soft absorbing materials. A successful ear cleaning is also contingent upon how well you keep your cat still during the ear cleaning process. Here are some helpful tips to make your cat's ear cleaning safe and easy to do.
Ear Cleaning Solutions
First and foremost, get a high-quality ear cleaning solution to remove the contaminants in your cat's ear canals. When it comes to your cat's ears, you should avoid cleaning solutions containing hydrogen peroxide or alcohol to prevent further ear canal irritation.
There are several types of cleaning solutions available to treat a variety of ear issues your cat may have. Some cleaning solutions are formulated specifically for removing the natural build-up of ear wax, while others have antibacterial or antifungal properties to prevent or treat possible ear infections.
Do not clean your cat's ears if you suspect that they might have an ear infection or their ear canal shows signs of inflammation or ulceration. Instead, take your cat to the vet immediately. Not only will your veterinarian examine your cat for any ear issues, but they will also give you the go-ahead to perform a general ear cleaning at home and offer recommendations on which ear cleaning solution to use.
You don't need any special equipment when cleaning cat ears. Chances are, you already have everything you need to do the job. Use good quality absorbing materials like cotton balls, gauze, soft towels, or any kind of soft, absorbing material to wipe your cat's ears without damaging them.
Since you probably use Q-tips daily to clean your ears, it might be tempting to use a cotton swab to clean your cat's ears. However, using cotton tip applicators for your cat is ill-advised. Cat ears are small and delicate, and using Q-tips may push debris and other build-ups further into their ear canal, causing trauma, or worse, rupturing their eardrum.
Keeping The Cat Still
Once you've gathered your materials, you're ready to perform the cleaning. Or so you thought. One very important task remains: keeping your cat still during the ear cleaning. Most cats become agitated during this procedure, so you need a way to calm them down. Although it might take some time, it's important that you perform the ear cleaning in full during one session.
The perfect remedy for a nervous cat is HolistaPet's CBD cat products! Give your cat CBD before you start the ear cleaning to ensure they stay calm and relaxed during the entire process. With a wide variety of CBD cat products to choose from, your cat will be relaxed and ready to get their ears cleaned.
Here are some CBD cat products you can give to your cat:
- CBD Calming Soft Chews (2 mg CBD per chews). Soft and easy to chew, these heart-shaped, salmon-flavored treats are the perfect incentive for your cat to stay still during their ear cleaning.
- CBD Cat Treats (2 mg CBD per treat). These crunchy snacks are salmon flavored, making them a tasty treat for your cat before and after you clean their ears.
- CBD Capsules for Cats (Available in 5, 10, 20, 40, and 100 mg CBD per capsule). Hide these capsules in your cat's favorite treat and feed it to them or crack one open and sprinkle the contents into your cat's food or water.
- CBD Oil for Cats (Available in 150, 300, 600, 1200, and 3000 mg tinctures). Drop a few drops directly into your cat's mouth or add them to their food or water. Place some drops underneath your cat's tongue for quicker onset of effects.
What Is CBD?
Cannabidiol, more commonly known as CBD, is a naturally occurring hemp plant compound prized for its ability to positively impact the wellbeing of humans and animals. This precious cannabinoid accomplishes this by interacting with the receptors of your endocannabinoid system (ECS), a vast and complex framework of cell signaling receptors found in every mammal on Earth, including your cat. The ECS is integral to several biological functions, including cognition, mood, appetite, digestive function, and sleep.
Thanks to the 2018 Farm Bill, which made hemp federally legal, a rise in hemp-derived CBD products has set the health and wellness industry ablaze. For those who are looking for holistic remedies to improve their overall soundness and resolve any longstanding ailments that they or their pets might have, CBD is the answer. With industry leaders like HolistaPet charting the way, chances are you'll find a CBD product to help keep your cat in good mental and physical condition.
How Can CBD Help?
When it comes to cleaning your cat's ears, there's no better product to keep your feline friend calm, cool, and collected than CBD. Before you start to wash your pet's ears, you should give them a CBD cat product, preferably a cat treat or soft chew, to get them ready for the process. CBD helps reduce anxiousness behaviors in your cat that might disrupt the ear cleaning process and help them relax and stay still.
In addition to helping you keep your cat calm and tranquil, CBD can also improve your cat's general wellness by:
- Boosting energy levels
- Raising appetite
- Reducing joint stiffness and improving mobility
- Supporting their immune system
- Promoting healthier fur, skin, and nails
CBD's applications aren't just limited to ear cleanings. You can give your cat CBD while performing other grooming procedures such as:
- Nail trimming
- Hair cuts
Before you start scrubbing your feline's ears, locate a comfortable sitting area for you and your cat, preferably on the ground and with ample room to maneuver. Give your cat a HolistaPet CBD calming soft chew about an hour before the procedure to ensure they remain calm during the process.
So without further ado, here is how to clean a cat's ears:
- Wrap your cat's body in a towel to keep them still during the cleaning. Cradle your cat's head to keep it stable.
- Gently open your pet's ear flap and carefully apply the cleaning solution into their ear canal. You can apply the ear cleaner directly from the bottle or by squeezing the ear cleaner from a cotton ball soaked in the solution.
- Gently massage your cat's ears at their base for several seconds, allowing the fluid to work.
- Once you're done massaging, let your pet shake their head to remove any excess soap from their ear canals.
- After your cat shakes out the excess solution, take a dry cotton ball or finger-wrapped piece of gauze and gently wipe any extra cleaning solution from your cat's ear flap and the opening to their ear canal. Avoid over-cleaning.
- Reward your cat with a tasty HolistaPet CBD cat treat and a little affection.
- Repeat this entire process with your cat's other ear.
Congratulations! You just learned how to clean your cat's ears! Do this as needed, or roughly every 2 to 3 months to keep your cat's ears clean.
Final Thoughts - How To Clean A Cat's Ears
You don't need to hire an expensive cat groomer or pay a visit to the veterinarian to have your cat's ears cleaned. The process is very simple and something you can do in the comfort of your own home. All you need is a high-quality ear cleaning solution, soft absorbing materials, and some HolistaPet CBD cat products to keep your cat relaxed, and you're all set!
By learning how to clean your cat's ears, you can save yourself time and money and help keep your cat healthy. Head to our shop to get some CBD cat products to keep your cat happy and relaxed while you gently clean their ears.