It is a rewarding experience seeing your dog get excited when you present it with its favorite treats. Pet store shelves are filled with all kinds of CBD dog treats but do you know which ones benefit your canine companion the most? Natural dog treats are a simple yet effective way of providing your pet with a delicious snack packed with essential nutrients.
Our dogs deserve the best, and that includes feeding them high-quality dog treats made with all-natural ingredients. Healthy treats can come in many forms, like your dog's everyday food! From the healthy ingredients to the many benefits, read on further to learn more about what makes a natural dog treat essential to your pet's wellness routine!
What Are Natural Dog Treats?
Natural dog treats are snacks free from harmful chemicals and artificial ingredients for home or mass-production by a dog food brand. Staples of natural dog snacks lack the following ingredients:
- Preservatives: Artificial preservatives like BHA and BHT are implemented in dog food to extend their shelf lives. Nitrates and nitrites artificially preserve meat products and may be unhealthy for your dog.
- Artificial Coloring: Dogs don't care what color their food is, so dog treats with artificial coloring are unnecessary. A healthy treat should not be artificially colored.
- Sugar: Natural and artificial sweeteners do more harm than good for your dog. Consuming too much sugar can lead to cardiovascular issues in dogs.
- Animal By-Products: Dogs require protein. Some food brands try to be sneaky by offering dog treats containing protein from "meat meal," which contains animal parts unsuitable for human consumption. These by-products are waste materials and have little nutritional value.
- Additives: Artificial additives like propylene glycol preserve moisture in dog foods. Unfortunately, additives are common in household items, which can be harmful to your dog in large quantities.
Natural dog snacks may include organic dog treats made with wholesome, all-natural ingredients. If you're seeking to provide your dog with home-cooked, natural snacks, it is best to consult with a vet first to see which foods are safe to consume.
What Are the Benefits of Natural Dog Treats?
Natural dog treats come with a lot of benefits for your dog's overall wellness. Here are some of the positive effects of consuming healthy natural treats.
- Ease Digestion: Natural dog treats may aid dogs with sensitive stomachs.
- Boost in Immune System: Treats made with natural ingredients are rich in antioxidants which aids your dog's immune system.
- Promotes Dental Hygiene: Healthy dog treats do not have sweeteners and can help keep your dog's teeth clean.
- Provides Natural Vitamins and Nutrients: High-quality ingredients rich in protein and amino acids to help maintain healthy coats, nails, and vision.
- Improves Mood: You don't need to be a scientist to conclude treats make dogs happy. A dog with good mental wellness is a healthy dog.
Even though natural dog treats are beneficial, they should not replace your dog's main food source. Too many treats may cause your dog to become overweight. Feed your dog treats in moderation. It is also recommended to provide your dog with all-natural, high-quality dog food to complement their healthy treat diet.
What Are Common Ingredients Found in Natural Dog Treats?
Natural dog treats are jam-packed with organic, all-natural ingredients, which effectively shape your dog's balanced diet.
Dog treats and food must list their ingredients in descending order beginning with those used in the greatest amount first. For this reason, it is important to have the first two ingredients listed as a good protein and a whole food ingredient. Here are the most common ingredients found in natural dog treats:
High-Quality Protein and Fats
Instead of mysterious meat sources, reputable dog treat brands list a recognizable protein source as the first ingredient. Natural dog treats can contain beef, chicken, lamb, and fatty fish like salmon. Meat has a high biological value that dictates how easily a dog may digest and absorb essential amino acids and minerals.
It is best to find dog snacks that clearly state the specific meat they are made from. Meat meal is another popular ingredient that is rich in protein, though advise where, how and what meat you give your dog and limit the amount — particularly with proteins like pork and beef.
Fats derived from protein sources like salmon and chicken are rich in fatty acids that benefit your dog's coat and skin. Other fats from hemp seed oil are rich in omega fatty acids that aid in their brain development and growth.
Fresh, whole ingredients are better than processed ones. Common nutritious ingredients include organic fruits and vegetables that are rich in the following vitamins and minerals:
- Vitamins A, D, E, K, and B12
- Folic Acid
These are just some of the many nutrients that are more abundant in whole foods than processed. A deficiency in any of these may negatively impact your dog's wellness.
Organic dog food and treats do not have any genetically modified ingredients. Ingredients that are organic are more nutritious than modified or artificial ingredients because they are free of artificial colors and synthetic preservatives. Dog treats made with organic chicken or other natural protein sources do not have any added hormones to increase the meat source's size.
Organic ingredients are free of artificial colors and other synthetic preservatives that lack the appropriate nutrition. Check out these resources for more information about nutrition for dogs.
What is the Difference Between Natural Dog Treats & Other Treats?
At a glance, all dog treats may look the same. One treat may look more appealing than another due to better packaging. After a closer look at their ingredients, you'll be able to see the difference between natural dog treats and less suitable treats.
- Price: Natural dog treats tend to be more expensive than other treats but are fully worth the price. The best all-natural ingredients within the treats of most food brands are usually valuable. The costs of those ingredients combined with packaging and transportation costs add up.
- Seal of Approval: One of the leading voices of authority in pet food for dogs is the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO). The AAFCO adds a stamp of approval on dog food and treats they deem suitable for dogs to consume. Natural dog treats tend to have the AAFCO seal more often than lower-quality dog snacks.
- Quality of Ingredients: As mentioned in the previous sections, natural dog treats are made with wholesome ingredients, whereas other treats are heavily processed and have harmful added preservatives.
What Are the Best Natural Dog Treats?
You can go to your favorite pet store and purchase natural dog treats, or you can make some from the comfort of your home. Here are some of the best ingredients to include in healthy dog treats.
Fruits and Vegetables
Dogs are omnivores, which means they eat meat as well as certain fruits and vegetables. Popular organic fruit your dog can snack on includes apples, cucumbers, and berries. Studies show that strawberries, cucumbers, and apples are rich in calcium, vitamin C, and antioxidants.
You can also chop up carrots into bite-size pieces to feed to your dog. Carrots are rich in fiber which can aid your dog's digestion system. Celery sticks are also greatly nutritious crunchy treats for your dog to enjoy.
You can bake homemade, nutritious dog treats by mixing some everyday wholesome ingredients like unsweetened pumpkin puree, eggs, and peanut butter.
Pumpkin is rich in beta-carotene, potassium, fiber, carbohydrates, and vitamin C. Eggs are a great source of protein, and peanut butter has healthy fats that boost your dog's wellness.
CBD-infused dog treats
CBD (short for cannabidiol) is an all-natural compound in hemp plants. CBD is well-tolerated by dogs and may provide the following effects:
- Eases nervousness
- Balances natural digestion
- Soothes physical discomfort
- Promotes natural sleep
CBD can provide these benefits by interacting with a dog's Endocannabinoid System, which helps maintain dogs' overall mental and physical balance. Treats made with CBD or CBD oil drops are easily addable to existing natural dog treats.
Where Can I Find the Best Natural Dog Treats?
When it comes to finding a brand that combines the benefits of natural dog treats with the power of CBD, no one does it better than HolistaPet. HolistaPet was founded by a team of pet lovers who wanted to provide joy to their dogs through alternative holistic methods instead of processed treats and medicine.
For that reason, HolistaPet utilizes organic ingredients that are free from animal by-products and gluten. CBD treats available from HolistaPet do not have any artificial ingredients, making them healthy and wholesome for your pet.
Our website lists the ingredients in all of our treats to ensure that you're providing your pet with a well-tolerated product. At reasonable prices, your dog can have a steady supply of these delicious and nutritious treats!
Final Thoughts - Natural Dog Treats
Dogs thrive off of affection, and what better way to show your dog you love them than by providing some all-natural dog treats? With simple yet common ingredients, they can provide a boost to your dog's wellness.
One of the best ways to enhance natural dog treats is adding a few drops of CBD oil. CBD-infused natural dog treats are another alternative that your dog will enjoy. If you want to learn more about different available CBD pet products, check out HolistaPet!