We love our furry friends and always want to make sure they are happy. Unfortunately, one thing we can’t prevent is aging. Dogs, with age, begin to develop various health issues. One of the most common health problems in aging dogs is joint problems. Along with impaired mobility, joint-related problems are often accompanied by pain. Fortunately, a highly recommended nutritional supplement known as Cosequin is available for dogs. Cosequin is the number one veterinarian-recommended product for joint health. It offers dogs improvements in joint mobility and pain management.
What is Cosequin?
Cosequin is a nutritional supplement made for dogs to treat and prevent joint problems. Two of the most important active ingredients in Cosequin are glucosamine and chondroitin.
Glucosamine is a naturally occurring compound in your dog. It supports healthy joints by boosting cartilage growth in damaged joints. In fact, glucosamine already exists in healthy cartilage. It is in damaged joints where the glucosamine in Cosequin really does work.
The other active ingredient, chondroitin, promotes elasticity and nourishes cartilage to ensure adequate shock absorption. Chondroitin comes from bovine cartilage, while glucosamine comes from shellfish.
Cosequin works by supporting and preventing joint issues such as arthritis. Glucosamine is a key component of cartilage, and its active role in treating damaged joints is to provide an essential nutrient that promotes cartilage regeneration and healthy joint function. Chondroitin, on the other hand, works alongside glucosamine, preventing cartilage breakdown.
What are the Benefits of Cosequin for Dogs?
- Improved mobility – Healthy joints need an adequate amount of cartilage to support a smooth, full range of mobility. Cosequin can stimulate the growth of new cartilage by providing precursor molecules to the joint tissue. The result is healthy cartilage and, therefore, healthy joints.
- Increase in activity – Joint problems can result in a notable reduction in your dog’s activity. One of the reasons for this is that damaged cartilage can impair joint mobility. It can restrict the full range of motion that is necessary for activities like running, jumping, and playing.
- Pain reduction – The other reason for a reduction in activity is most likely pain. Pain in the joints usually means there is some sort of inflammation in the joint tissue. Cosequin works to repair damaged cartilage and prevent its breakdown, ensuring healthy joints and a notable pain reduction.
- Happier life – Your dog’s life is greatly dependent on her four legs. Dogs love to play, run, and jump around, all of which place a great deal of stress on the joints. Cosequin can greatly improve your dog’s joint health by maintaining healthy cartilage. In return, you can see the look on your dog’s face when she runs after you, eager to play.
How Long Does it Take for Cosequin to Work?
Cosequin is a supplement and, unlike a drug, may not have immediate effects. Cosequin supplies the building blocks for repairing damaged joint tissue. Cartilage is a unique tissue in that it does not contain any blood vessels to supply it with oxygen and nourishment. For this reason, damaged cartilage cannot regenerate on its own.
However, Cosequin can help reverse this degeneration of joint tissue and prevent further damage. Because cartilage has no blood supply and does not grow back on its own, you may not see notable changes in your dog’s joint health until about four to six weeks of using Cosequin. However, not all dogs are the same. With that said, you might see improvements in your dog’s mobility take place earlier than four weeks.
What are the Side Effects of Cosequin for Dogs?
Cosequin is completely safe for your dog, but may still have some mild side effects. These side effects are mostly associated with the gastrointestinal tract, including:
- Upset stomach
Chondroitin, one of the main active ingredients in Cosequin, has blood-thinning properties. Therefore it may thin the blood. In addition, an allergic reaction to glucosamine and/or chondroitin can occur if you have never used products containing these ingredients for your dog.
Side effects can vary from dog to dog. It is never a certainty of whether your dog will experience side effects or not. Most likely your dog will not experience any side effects to Cosequin at all. However, if your dog has had an allergic reaction to glucosamine or chondroitin products in the past, then it is best not to use Cosequin.
How Much Cosequin Should I Give My Dog?
Start with the recommended amounts of Cosequin for the initial period in order to “kick start” the effects of the supplement. Gradually, you will begin to notice changes in your dog’s activity levels as the Cosequin does its work.
After the initial 4-6 weeks of administration, you can reduce the dose to a maintenance level. Doing this will help long-term for maintaining healthy joints in your dog. Here are some suggested dosage guidelines for giving your dog Cosequin.
- For dogs 15 lbs and under: ½ tablet daily for the first 4-6 weeks.
- After this initial period, you can lower the dose to ½ tablet once every two days.
- For dogs 16-30 lbs: 1 tablet daily for the first 4-6 weeks.
- After this initial period, you can lower the dose to ½ tablet daily.
- For dogs 31-60 lbs: 2 tablets daily for the first 4-6 weeks.
- After this initial period, you can lower the dose to 1 tablet daily.
- For dogs over 60 lbs: 3 tablets daily for the first 4-6 weeks.
- After this initial period, you can lower the dose to 1-2 tablets daily.
Can You Mix Cosequin with Other Supplements?
The active ingredients in Cosequin, glucosamine, and chondroitin, should not be mixed with coumarin anticoagulants. Warfarin is a good example of a coumarin anticoagulant. Glucosamine and chondroitin are known to have blood-thinning properties, which, when mixed with an anticoagulant, can result in excessive bleeding and decrease the body’s ability to clot blood. Always consult with your veterinarian to make sure that you will safely be giving your dog Cosequin.
On the other hand, there are certain beneficial CBD for dog products that may work with Cosequin to promote overall wellness in the body. One such compound that stands out is CBD or cannabidiol. CBD dog oil is a hemp-derived extract that is considered to be safe for dogs and has little to no side effects.
Cosequin is the #1 recommended product by veterinarians, making it a confident choice for many owners who want to treat joint problems in their dogs. Many dogs actually show improvements in mobility, characterized by an increase in activity levels and overall happiness.
While Cosequin is known to benefit dogs with joint problems, it is not guaranteed to improve joint mobility in all dogs. You must always keep in mind that Cosequin should not be mixed with anticoagulants and blood thinners in order to prevent injuries to your dog.
Cosequin can really change your dog’s life, and sooner or later you may begin to see the puppy in your dog reappear in front of your eyes. You can find out more about Holistapet here. If you want to learn more about dog nutrition click this link.