Everyone loves cats for their majestic yet fun-loving personalities. People take pride in being cat parents and providing their feline companions with the best care and affection possible. For this reason, hemp for cats may be beneficial and is recommended by many within the cat community.
Most people have had some experience with hemp products, whether hemp lotion or other beauty products. Hemp is not just helpful for people, but it can help out cats too! If you want to learn more about hemp for cats, read further about what it is, how it helps cats, and more!
What is Hemp?
Hemp stems from the Cannabis Sativa plant and is implemented commercially for different products. In the United States, farmers grow hemp farms to sell hemp to companies who implement the product to create paper, rope, biodegradable plastics, textile, and other commonly used items.
Besides making these items, some companies find hemp is an effective base for various wellness products. Hemp plants are key ingredients in many of the following oils.
- Hemp oil: This type of oil is made by using entire hemp plants and combining it with a carrier oil to create hemp oil. It contains all the naturally occurring plant compounds found in hemp plants.
- Hemp seed oil: The most nutritious part of the hemp plant is its seeds. Before the plant can grow, people gather the seeds and put them through a cold-pressing machine. The final result is hemp seed oil, usually a clear green color and nutty taste.
These two oils have one key difference: the presence of cannabinoids and terpenes. Hemp oil contains these additional compounds, while hemp seed oil does not. Cannabinoids provide beneficial properties, and terpenes affect a plant or oil’s taste and smell. This means that hemp seed oil has nutritious advantages, and hemp oil has even more flavor and benefits.
Hemp oil can be either full spectrum or broad spectrum. Both spectrums contain all the natural phytocannabinoids unique to hemp plants, with the only difference being that broad spectrum oils do not contain any THC. Full spectrum oils have trace amounts of THC (0.3% or less), but not enough to induce any intoxication.
What is Hemp for Cats?
Hemp for cats come in a variety of different products. Add your hemp seed oil to cat food, shampoos, and catnip sprays for a fast-acting, effective product.
Industrial hemp also creates cat accessories like climb towers, leashes, and cat clothing. Most cat parents who seek hemp products usually are after hemp oil or hemp seed oil.
When shopping for these products, a lot of consumers tend to get several similar products confused. Although they are similar, hemp oil and hemp seed oil get confused with another popular hemp product: cannabidiol (CBD for short).
What’s The Difference Between Hemp & CBD?
It is easy to understand why first-time consumers of hemp products may become confused between hemp and cannabidiol for felines. Luckily, this section will focus on the key difference between these two natural products.
CBD is one of many plant compounds found in hemp plants. Hemp plants have over one hundred different kinds of cannabinoids continuously studied for their properties and effects. CBD-infused products come from hemp plants that were bed to have high percentages of CBD.
CBD is then extracted and infused into different cat treats and foods or mixed with a carrier oil to create CBD oil. CBD products come with either broad or full spectrum. Some brands use products containing CBD isolate, which is a tasteless white powder form of pure CBD.
Instead of containing high concentrations of CBD, hemp oil has normal amounts of CBD and other cannabinoids. Oil made out of hemp seed does not have any cannabinoids or plant chemical compounds from hemp.
Why Choose Hemp for Cats?
Pet parents choose and love hemp products and CBD products for cats because it is all-natural and made with good ingredients. The pet market contains various products that claim to help cats but come with unfavorable ingredients that might do more harm than good.
Hemp is loved for being a sustainable and renewable resource for the cat industry. And hemp plants are hardy, requiring less application of pesticides, which can sometimes slip into your cat’s food and other products. Aside from being eco-friendly, hemp products provide cats with plenty of different beneficial effects.
What Are the Benefits of Hemp for Cats?
People choose hemp products for cats because they may improve overall wellness. When cats consume hemp-derived products, they can experience the following effects.
- Eases nervousness: Cats can get anxiety from extremely loud noises such as fireworks and lightning. Separation anxiety is another common concern for cat parents. With hemp-derived products rich in CBD, cats can handle troublesome behavior.
- Soothes aching joints and physical discomfort: Some cats can be dealing with minor aches that limit their ability to do everyday activities. Some of the natural cannabinoids found in hemp products can help ease any discomfort your cat may have and encourage it to move more freely.
- Promotes better mobility: As cats reach older stages of their lives, they can have limited mobility associated with old age. Hemp can help increase mobility and soothe joint swelling.
- Balances appetite and digestion: Is your cat having trouble finishing its serving of food? Hemp-infused treats are a great way to help give a little boost to your cat’s appetite.
- Improves mood: Dealing with an aggressive kitty is never any fun. CBD-rich hemp-infused treats are a great way to improve your cats’ mood. Everyone loves a calm kitty!
- Nourishes skin and coat: Shampoos with hemp for cats are an excellent way of spreading healthy cat skin oils and maintaining a beautiful coat.
- Boosts natural sleep: Some cats lounge all day and become more active at night. If your cat is dealing with restlessness, hemp can help put it in a more tranquil state. Cats love sleeping, so hemp can promote a night of more natural sleep.
Hemp seed oil is one of the best kinds of oils to consume. Hemp seed oil is rich in nutrients and fatty acids. The nutrients and fatty acids in hemp seed oil can help provide similar benefits to those mentioned in the list above.
Is Hemp Legal for Cats?
Hemp is legal for cats. Finding out the legal status of certain hemp products is one of the biggest obstacles many pet parents encounter. When the 2018 Farm Bill passed, it removed hemp plants from the list of Controlled Substances and made it possible to cultivate and sell hemp-derived products at the federal level.
One of the main prerequisites for hemp products is that they need to be made with less than 0.3 THC. THC is another natural cannabinoid primarily responsible for leaving people and pets with a “high” feeling. Since these hemp-derived products contain zero to trace amounts of THC, they are well-tolerated by pets.
Is Hemp Safe for Cats?
Hemp products are well-tolerated by cats. Hemp products are non-toxic, so pets can not overdose from them. Thanks to its super-low levels of THC, cats will not feel intoxicated either.
According to a study by the World Health Organization, animals given hemp-derived CBD did not show any signs of dependence on it. Although the cat treats with CBD hemp may taste good, your cat will not become addicted to them.
Cats have an endocannabinoid system, a natural pathway that works with cannabinoids found in hemp plants. The Endocannabinoid System is responsible for maintaining and balancing overall wellness in cats. The cannabinoids from hemp plants bind to the receptors of the Endocannabinoid System to provide all of the benefits mentioned in the previous sections.
Is Hemp Oil Safe for Cats?
Hemp oil is one of the most popular products in the hemp community. Many pet parents prefer giving their feline companions drops of hemp oil to their food and water bowl.
Most hemp products are all-natural and made without preservatives, GMOs, artificial colors, and flavors. If your cat is taking medication, it is best to speak with a veterinarian before giving your cat hemp oil.
Hemp seed oil for your cat comes with very little to no side effects. If your cat has any food allergies, make sure to check the list of ingredients available with many hemp products.
Hemp Alternatives for Cats
CBD products are the best hemp alternatives for cats. Since hemp became legal, CBD products are experiencing continuous growth and rise in popularity. The best place to find the best products infused with CBD is with Holistapet!
Here is the list of hemp-derived CBD products for cats offered by Holistapet.
- CBD Oil for Cats: The best CBD oil is available with HolistaPet. It is made with CBD extract and hemp seed oil.
- Cat Treats: Holistapet’s cat treats infused with CBD are a popular choice of treats for hundred of cat parents.
- Capsules for Cats: You can place one capsule in your cat’s food so they can enjoy it.
- Calming Chew for Cats: Car trips can make plenty of cat breeds nervous. With calming chews, your cat can handle car rides and other anxiety-related concerns.
- Catnip Spray Bottle with CBD: Holidays invite a sky is lit up with fireworks. Help your cat manage its nervousness with catnip spray infused with CBD.
The best part about these products is that they are available at affordable prices. All of these products contain plenty of positive reviews from fellow cat lovers.
Each one of the Cat CBD products comes with a Certificate of Analysis provided by a third-party laboratory. Since the United States Food and Drug Administration has not established guidelines for CBD oil and other products, brands like Holistapet have third-party laboratories test their products for cannabinoid content, pesticides, and other harmful byproducts. Not only will your cats enjoy the benefits of CBD, but they will also be consuming an all-natural product.
Final Thoughts – Hemp for Cats
Hemp has been around for hundreds of years but only recently have people seen how it can be beneficial for cats too. Hemp for cats is a great way to maintain their wellness.
CBD is a great alternative for hemp, and there are countless CBD-infused products in the industry. If you want to check out CBD products or learn more about them, check out Holistapet! And if you want more tips on how to care for your feline take a look at these resources.